Monday, August 03, 2009

Another fire in the Lillooet area

There is a 550 hectare fire 22 km south of Lillooet - the Intlpam fire. The Ministry of Forests coordinates place this halfway up the mountain from the Fraser River.

Intlpam is a creek on the west side of the Fraser south of Texas Creek, about half way between Lillooet and Lytton.

I had been planning on hiking the Stein last week with the Scouts, I am even happier now that we chose to go to Cape Scott instead.

I was looking at the coordinates for the Yalakom fire. When I plugged them in, I ended up with a location closer to Moha than I had thought based on the name. The coordinates place the fire equidistant between Shulaps Peak, Big Sheep Mountain and Yakalom Mountain. It is now about 1500 hectares in szie, though there are no more details than that.

In the years that I lived in Lillooet, it was normal to have a fire of about 1000 to 1500 hectares somewhere in the area. As of the information I have at the moment, there are four uncontained fires burning in the area of that size or larger. This does not include the roughly 8000 hectare Tyaughton fire. About 15 000 hectares of timber has now burned in the area.

No comments: