Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Ideawave 2012

Ideawave 2012 is happening on February 25th and 26th at the Ambrosia Conference and Event Centre.  Ideawave is a TED like ideas conference held here in Victoria BC.   There will be 50 talks in two days and this year I will be one of the speakers.

I will be speaking about being the last gasp of a culture that is terminal and why this matters.   If I speak on the 25th, I will be speaking on my father's 90th birthday.  I will flesh out the full details of the talk over the next few weeks and then post it here, but here are some initial thoughts:

  • I was born in Canada but I did not arrive in Canadian culture until I started kindergarten
  • I look like a Canadian and sound like a Canadian, but underlying all that is my Baltic German culture
  • Being part of a culture that I can see is on its way out has allowed me some interesting insights and commonalities with First Nation cultures here in BC.
  • I do view the world differently, and think differently, because of my underlying culture
  • If there is strength in diversity of ideas and thoughts, the loss of cultures is not a good thing, but at the same time keeping a culture artificially alive makes no sense.

As I said, when I write it, I will post here.

No comments: