Friday, February 25, 2011

Today my father would have been 89

Actually he was born on February 24th, but his father was not going to have any son of his born on the day of Estonian independence.   My grandfather simply changed the birth date to the 25th.

I do not share my grandfather's dislike of Estonian independence and neither did my father.  I suspect once he was within the 3rd Reich, my grandfather changed his mind as well.   It was certainly a bit of shock to my grandmother how backward Germany was, it was as if they were going back 20 years in time.   Such is what comes of going from the most technologically advanced country to a second rate country.

I recently bought myself and Estonian flag and will fly it from my house from time to time.

1 comment:

Timbu said...

Here's a link that might interest you:
www.palun.blogspot.com - recommended reading for all estophiles.
Did you receive my email?